How can I qualify for the HOPE Grant?
If you’re Georgia resident, you can take advantage of the state’s HOPE Grant for technical college students, which has no high school GPA requirement, as well as the Georgia Strategic Industries Workforce Development Grant. Plus, depending on your family income, you may also qualify for the federal Pell Grant. Many students use these grants, which don’t require repayment, to pay for most, if not all, of their TCSG tuition. In some cases, even your books and fees may be covered. Visit our financial aid page for more information.
Need a GED?
Georgia’s technical colleges can help you get your GED and transition right into college. A growing number of Technical Colleges have a program that will allow you to work toward your GED and earn college credit at the same time. For more information about earning your GED through the Technical College System, please visit:
What are the requirements to enroll in a degree or certificate program?
You must have a high school diploma or GED, or currently be enrolled in a GED program, in order to participate in Go Back. Move Ahead.
What programs are offered online?
Most core classes at many of Georgia’s public colleges, as well as some full degree programs at both the Associate’s and Bachelors’ level, are available online. Some courses are even offered in a hybrid format, which combines online and on-campus learning.

Visit our Programs page to search for an option that works for you.

What scheduling options do I have?
Georgia colleges offer a variety of scheduling choices to help busy adults fit college into their lives. Many programs are offered at night or on weekends, and many colleges offer flexible start times so that you can begin a course on your personal schedule. You can also enroll in condensed courses such as “mini-mesters.”
How do I know which prior credits will apply?
Georgia has developed a Transfer and Articulation Tool (GATRACS) that allows you to find out about transfer policies before you enroll. If your credits are from Georgia colleges, they can easily be imported. If your credits are from somewhere else, you can manually enter information from your college transcripts. Either way, GATRACS will let you determine which credits will transfer to a given college and given program. It is worth your time to use this valuable tool in order to maximize your transfer credits. Make sure you have official transcripts as you explore transfer options.
Can I transfer courses from technical colleges to traditional colleges or universities?
Yes. 27 general courses transfer credits between the University System of Georgia (USG) and Technical College System of Georgia (TCSG) colleges. General education courses are those which students take during their first two years in college. To see a list of these courses, visit the Course Transfer Chart.
Can I transfer courses from one TCSG school to another?
Course credit may be awarded for courses completed with a “C” or better from a college or university accredited by a regional or national accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. However, it is the decision of the college to which you are transferring whether they will accept credit from another college.
Can I transfer courses from one USG school to another?
Colleges within the University System of Georgia guarantee credit transfer of the core curriculum. This is approximately 70 percent of the hours required for an Associate’s degree.
How can my professional and personal experience help me with obtaining college credits?
If you have begun a career, you most likely have gained a number of professional and personal experiences. To determine if these translate to college learning, consider a Prior Learning Assessment (PLAs). Your skills and experiences can be assessed in three different ways: by passing an exam, by providing information about your experience to a confirming third-party education organization, or proving your knowledge directly to an individual professor.


PASS IT: There are a wide variety of nationally recognized standardized tests which allow you to “test out” of a course. Campuses or advisors can direct you to testing centers. Some of the most commonly used options include:

  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP) – Allows students to earn up to 12 credit hours by passing examinations for a particular course if approved by their institution.
  • Dantes Subject Standardized Tests (DSST) – Allows military personnel who are beginning or returning to school to earn credit hours by passing examinations for a particular course if approved by their institution
  • Manufacturing Skills Standard Council (MSSC) – Leading organization for industrial and production certificate programs that may be used to prove your skill set for a particular program
  • National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) – Certifies workplace credentials by completing three WorkKey assessments. These certificates measure an individual’s success at the workplace and possible skill sets that employers are looking for

PROVIDE IT: There are a number of highly regarded professional organizations like the American Council on Education that can confirm that your learning is college-level. These organizations evaluate the training and learning provided through military service, corporate training, and certifications and help colleges match this learning to learning acquired through college courses.

PROVE IT: Many colleges also offer individualized assessments – an opportunity to pass a departmental exam or to demonstrate your knowledge directly to a professor, who may offer you the chance to take the final examination in a course. You may also choose a portfolio option where you provide evidence that you know the learning outcomes for a particular course.

What options do I have for financial aid?
Go Back. Move Ahead. has partnered with the Georgia Student Finance Commission to provide you with financial aid information and resources. Visit our Financial Aid page to learn more.